Magic Resists is hosting The Resist Reading Challenge
- to focus on history, politics and social change. Quite a worthwhile, and in this political climate, a very necessary one.
I plan to read at least 5 books - but hope to read more.
Here are the guidelines:
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. ~ George Santayana
Read a damn book. ~ Various people
What is The Resist Reading Challenge?
The Resist Reading Challenge is a year long challenge that encourages you to read books about history, politics, activism, and social change.
I started it about a year ago and it ran only about a month or so but because there was very little interest I decided to end the challenge. Recent events made me realize I need to do this reading challenge for myself even if no one else participates. I was made painfully and publicly aware of how little I actually know about history. In all my time on Twitter I had never been more embarrassed. I knew I needed to do something about it.
This reading challenge also serves another purpose. The truth is, like many in The Resistance, I spend far too much time on Twitter, reading the news online, or watching the news on television. I love reading and it gives me a much needed break from tweeting or binging the news. The best part about this reading challenge is it's not about escaping reality but learning about history and the reality that goes beyond the latest headlines.
I'm also extremely frustrated with just tweeting. This reading challenge is a way to learn different types of activism other than being a keyboard warrior. I want to do more than just tweet and vote. I want to become more involved and hands on in Resist but I honestly know little about how to do that.
I could do this challenge on my own, and I will if no one else participates, but doing reading challenges with others is always more fun. I also think reading about these different topics would benefit anyone in The Resistance. Or a topic. Even if they just read one book it can make a difference.
Really! This is a low pressure challenge. Even if you only read one book this whole year I still want you to participate in The Resist Reading Challenge! This challenge is about reading however much you want or or feel you can handle. I do hope that you will join me in 2019 for The Resist Reading Challenge.
How The 2019 Resist Reading Challenge Works:
- This reading challenge runs from Jan 1, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019.
- You do not need to consider yourself part of The Resistance to participate.
- You may sign up anytime during the challenge.
- I want you to choose your own reading goals. I won't be creating different levels.Read as little or as many books as you want. Even if you just read one book you can still participate!
- I will be creating an optional Bingo challenge. You do not have to do the Bingo challenge to participate. The link to the Bingo challenge can be found here.
- Books may be fiction or nonfiction but must be on the topics of politics, history, government, human rights, feminism, race issues, LGBTQ issues, political movements, memoirs, autobiographies, climate change, or activism.
- You are also encouraged to read books that challenge your views or are the opposite of your views.
- Books may be adult, young adult, or children's books.
- You may include books of any format including traditional books, ebooks, or audiobooks.
- Books may count towards other reading challenges.
There is a bingo challenge as well: