Monday, July 30, 2012

It's Monday, What are you Reading?



Although I have been reading, much of my reading this past week has been on education books for book clubs. A few chapters here and there but not yet finished these books. I am enjoying the sharing of thoughts on these books though and so am spending a bit more time online.

I did read these books though:

Hound Dog True by Linda Urban

I finally read this book that has had such wonderful reviews. I enjoyed it immensely. Such a sensitive story and well written.

Willow Run by Patricia Reilly Giff


I enjoyed this story and main character Meggie, whose life is upturned when her family must move to Willow Run  in 1944.

Sourpuss and Sweetie Pie by Norton Jester Cillus and Chris Roschka


I saw this in a bargain bin and bought it because of Chris Roschka. I did enjoy the story about a little girl's two sides. Interesting illustrations a s well.

A Page out of Life by Kathleen Reid


A book for me,  about scrapbooking friends and how they support each other. A bit farfetched at times, but it was an enjoyable light read.


Still reading - a number of teaching books and art books.

Next I will be reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I had resolved not to buy any more books, but saw this and remembered the reviews and knew I had to read it.
I still have 5 or 6 other books started but not finished! I have to be in a certain frame of mind to read books and some books just call to be read. The Book Thief was one of them.
I also finally made it back to the library last week and picked up a number of YA books. The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis and Inside Out and Back Again by Thannhha Lai  will be next on my list to read.

Be sure to check out the reviews here and here.

7 comments:

The Relentless Reader said...

I hope you love The Book Thief as much as I did. It's beautiful :)

Have a great week of reading!

Anonymous said...

Our reading lists are quite in sync! I just finished Hound Dog True this week and agree the writing was lovely and lyrical. Both The Book Thief and The Mighty Miss Malone are on the summer TBR as well. Enjoy what will surely be a great reading week!

Lorna - notforlunch.wordpress.com

Maria said...

The Book Thief is a powerful book. It will stick with you long after you're done. I really enjoyed the Mighty Miss Malone, too, with an ending that I didn't quite expect. Hound Dog True is on my list and I just added Willow Run because it's a Patricia Reilly Giff book I haven't read. Have you read NORY RYAN'S SONG or MAGGIE'S DOOR? Two of my favorites.

Maria @novalibrarymom.com

Beverley Baird said...

Thanks to all of your comments.
I haven't read Nory Ryan's books - will add them to my growing BTR!

Linda B said...

Love the Sourpuss book & will look it up-I also loved the Hello Goodbye Window. Hound Dog True is super, & I will look for the Giff book too. Those you have to read are terrific-I hope you enjoy them. Thanks Beverley!

Kellee said...

Loved Hound Dog True- a quiet, beautiful book. Haven't read any others. Haven't read any Giff books, I have to get to them at some point.

Happy reading this week! :)

Miss Trayers said...

The Book Thief was amazing! I just gave it to my mom who is a tough critic and she loves it as well.

I didn't realize the author of Hello-Goodbye Window wrote another book-will definitely check that out-thank you for sharing those titles!