Friday, November 13, 2009

Laughter



This week's chapter of "The Joy Diet" focuses on "Laughter". I have not been consistent the last 2 weeks in carrying through on Martha Beck's prescriptions. I had mores success visiting other bloggers!


I really related to several other people, especially Laura who wondered where her laughter had gone. I know I don't laugh as often as I did when I was younger. And the deep belly laughs I used to experience are few and far between.

To laugh until you cry, to laugh so hard you find it hard to breathe. These times usually happen when I am so tired, I get giddy. Then anything can make me laugh. The laughter is then contagious. The feeling after these times is a sense of tired happiness. I miss those times!

I did try to list some of the favourite things that bring laughter:

*Playing games with my family (whenever we play Scategories, there is always lots of laughter!)

*Watching good comedy (Mrs. Doubtfire, Tootsie, Corner Gas)

*Hearing or reading a good joke or seeing something on Youtube.

*Watching kids at play.
I found some quotes that really speak to the value of laughter:

"What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul." ~Yiddish Proverb

"I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose." ~Woody Allen

"He who laughs, lasts." (Mary Pettibone Poole)


"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing." (Michael Pritchard)

"What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul." ~Yiddish Proverb


"The recommendation for a healthy heart may one day be exercise, eat right and laugh a few times a day."
http://www.umm.edu/features/laughter.htm


I may not have increased my laughter this week, but I became more aware of how little I astually did laugh and how much I missed it! So, I plan to add that to my must do's in the coming weeks, to make it a daily habit.


Be sure to visit the other Joy Diet participants here.

10 comments:

Leone said...

I love to laugh and often laugh at the jokes in my e-mail and when I'm reading a book. It is surprising- no shocking - how rarely you hear people laugh. My daughters and I used to laugh a lot when we got together but we don't often get together any more, they work too much and live just that bit too far away. I hope you find lots to laugh at and about.

Ginny said...

I think just by becoming more aware of the need to laugh we will find ways to see the lighter side of life. I too am going to find ways to bring more laughter into each day. Have a great week filled with laughter.

Helen said...

I went to the link about "exercise, eat right and laugh a few times a day." It seems like finding out more about what makes us laugh and deliberately trying to find more of it is useful, fun, and will bring more ease and joy into our lives. I love reading people's blogs and the comments -- so many insightful observations and great tips in there. Thank you!

becky nielsen said...

There was a time in my life when it struck me rather forcefully that I didn't laugh much - was taking everything way too seriously, feeling ever so responsible. Fortunately, the condition is reversible. I know that now that you have decided you want more of this in your diet, you'll find lots of it available! Thanks for your thoughtful post and the quotes!

septembermom said...

Great post! I do need to laugh more. It elevates my spirit and lightens my load. Thank you.

Kathryn Costa said...

I think this is one prescription I can do each day. I love to laugh.

Anonymous said...

Love your cutouts/collage. What a great list of ideas and quotes!

Jean said...

I love your quotes on laughter! I know I need to laugh more and more often, so I was glad that this chapter started me thinking about how to include more fun and giggles into my life.

Beverley Baird said...

Thank you all so much for your kind and thoughtful comments. It means so much to hear from fellow bloggers, especially as we explore The joy Diet. I have not been great in adhering to this book, but I am learning and just visiting others is great!

Melita said...

is there anything better than laughter?! sending you lots of love, laughs & hugs!!