Friday, November 20, 2009

Connections

As I skimmed this chapter on Connections in Martha Beck's "The Joy Diet" , it really made me assess connections I have made both in the past and the present.



Throughout my life I have moved around - at one point I listed over 30 different places I have lived in. When I was in public school I became more and more anxious with each move. But, eventually in my 20's I realized that there was a great opportunity to meet new people and have new experiences.

The hardest move was when I remarried 7 years ago and moved to my present home. I had lived in the previous place for 19 years - saw my children grow up here, was involved with the church and school and had a teaching job I loved. I had many friends and was connected to that place.

When I moved it took a long time to feel connected, to obtain a teaching job, to feel that it was home. There are still times I miss the connections of the past. Even though I still talk with old friends, it is just not the same. I am slowly making new connections, but they are different, as I am a different person in this place, at this time.

I have new connections with step-children and step grandchildren. I have different connections with the local church. My greatest connection is with my husband.
My children don't need me as much and so that connection has changed. The loss of my mom though was the biggest lost connection. ( here is a photo of my mom and my oldest at her birthday - we are all huggers and touchers - and this so represents the connection we all have)

I am making new and different connections with the blogging community. I am also reconnecting with art.
Life is about change, about connecting, about learning and growing. Hopefully I can continue to do all that!

3 comments:

Ginny said...

I agree that life is about connecting, learning, and growing. As we go through the different stages of our life, the connections we have can make those transitions both easier and a lot more fun!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Starting over brings a lot of unknowns. It was a very healthy choice to see that as new opporunities.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... the change within connection has always been something difficult to wrap my mind around... but it's such a necessary part of gifting us with new opportunities!