Monday, November 23, 2009

ABC Wednesday - S is for Sheep Shearing

Here we are again - sharing our take on the letter S for ABC Wednesday.

There are so many possibilities - but I had to settle on sheep shearing! Our trip to the Fergus Scottish Festival was a wonderful event and the sheep shearing was amazing. I talked with the shearer after - a very interesting man. I also came away with the part of the sheepskin that was not really wanted. I will be using it with my Grade 3s during out Pioneer unit - for carding, spinning and weaving!

It is a very fast process! I was impressed.

Be sure to visit the other great participants here.

13 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Great choice for the S day, Beverly! Love your photos!

Have a great S day!

Sylvia

Mara said...

I really like sheep, they have great personalities. Great S.

Roger Owen Green said...

Just this week I was reading a children's book about sheep shearing to my daughter. Cool, which is how the sheep feel.

Tumblewords: said...

I wonder if they feel at all sheepish after they've been sheared? :) Love your photos. Great topic, too!

Beverley Baird said...

Thank you Sylvia, Mara, Roger and Tumblewords for stopping by and leaving such encouraging comments! I'll be stopping by to visit you!
Take care - and Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Wow. That is a very fast process! Love your pictures of such a cool thing!

Hildred said...

This brings back memories of the days we had a large flock of sheep, - I used to be the one who tied the fleeces (and picked out the best ones for spinning)!

moongipsies said...

very cool.. and soooo fast !

jabblog said...

Sheep shearers are so skilled. The wool is so greasy, isn't it? I'm sure your kids will love working with it.

photowannabe said...

Very original and fascinating post. I have seen this done and it really is fast. How fun to be able to use some of the wool for your classroom.

agent112778 said...

i do hope that the sheeps dont got hurt in the process..hmmmm, wool :D

my entry is here


have a Great Wednesday :)

Thanx for the Visit :)

Joy said...

I live in sheep country and love seeing the fresh white when the old coats come off. Great post.

Jay said...

Sheep shearers are skilled indeed! Such fast workers and very good at handling the sheep.

How lovely to get a piece of fleece to bring home and spin!