Monday, July 20, 2009

Celebrating and Art

Leah of Creative Every Day asked us:
"What are your favourite ways to celebrate yourself?"

As I thought about it and started listing the ways that I nourish myself, I realized that many of the ways involve my husband. We have been together for 9 years - 7 married. This is both our second marriage and we treasure it. We have had many ups and downs in our marriage (our first year of marriage we lived apart as we were waiting for his kidney transplant and as the donor I had to stay with the board where I was teaching.) We survived almost 2 years on dialysis, the transplant, moving, unemplyment, new home, step-families, and more.
But through it all, he has always been supportive of what I do.
There is usually fresh cut roses on our table and cards for monthly anniversaries. There are shows and trips we both enjoy. There is much affection.
I have been fortunate in my second marriage. Of course, there are still some waves but at least we are together in meeting them.
The loss of my Mom last May was a huge blow. There were trials with my family before she died and they have not all been resolved. It has taken me a year to really accept her death and feel like I am coming out of a deep, deep well. My husband has helped me, as have my family and friends.
In February I entered blogland, and that has healed me greatly, by giving me a voice, an outlet for creativity and challenges to meet.
So thank you to all whom I've met and visited and who have visited here. That has meant a lot to me - you really don't know how much!


So, besides love, affection, family, friends, flowers, our cat, music - being creative has really nourished me.

This past weekend I finished the angel cards for my first giveaway winners and they will be heading out tomorrow. Thanks again to the winners for their help!

I also finished and mailed the zentangle ATCs for the swap at ATCs for All. This was the second swap I have done but the first with this group. I loved the zentangles. Next I want to try the mandala zentangles!





I also created a couple of tags that celebrate love. May we all have it in our lives.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about your marraige and your grief process and your cards are gorgeous! So glad I found you through CED!

Leone said...

How fortunate to have had the love and support of your husband. How fortunate to have each other, it's so nice to hear of a couple who are willing to do the work to stay together and deepen their love.

There is something very difficult about losing your Mom, it took me several years to get over losing my Mom and it is coming up to the anniversay in August. I am so glad that you are coming out of the darkness. I have a verse from when my dad passed on and I have found great comfort from it over the years, I hope it comforts you:
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am a diamond glint of snow
I am a sunlight ripened grain
I am the gentle outstream rain
When you waken in the morning hush
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet
birds in circling flight
I am th soft stars that shine at night
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there I did not die

This made me feel like my Mom was always around me. I hope I am not out of line writing out for you.

I am so glad that you are finding so much comfort and support with you on-line friends, I know I appreciate them all so much and appreciate hearing from you and reading about your journey.

I look forward to receiving my angel card.

mel said...

What lovely zentangles!! Aren't they fun?

It's so wonderful to hear how you and your hubby have supported one another through such difficult times....'tis the mark of True Love...

I really liked that verse that Leone posted.....

xo

Beverley Baird said...

Thank you Leone and Julie and Mel
After I posted this last nightIalmost unposted!
I was very open and honest - maybe too much so I thought. But I left it.
Thanks so much for your very kind supportive words. It is people like you who have helped me in this journey.

Leah said...

I'm so glad you shared all this, Beverly! I loved reading about your relationship with your husband. Many of my nurturing activities involve my husband as well. It's so wonderful to have such great support in your life.

I also loved reading about the ways you nourish yourself!