Thursday, August 9, 2012
Picture book 10 for 10
The Third Annual Picture Book 10 for 10 is now here. Cathy Mere (Reflect and Refine) and
Mandy (Enjoy and Embrace Learning) have organized this fun event. Be sure to visit their sites to see everyone's lists!
Trying to choose just 10 picture books that I couldn't live without was difficult. I decided to choose 10 books that I use at the beginning of the year that focus on building a caring community and focusing on building skills..
Here is my list:
1. First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg
A fun book that helps see that even teachers can have the jitters. Great to lead to discussions of what we worry about.
2. The Memory Stone by Anne Louise MacDonald
I use this book the first week of school to help children focus on a special memory and how an object can help us remember a special time.
3. Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox
This is a special book about memories, love, generations, by a favourite author.
4. It's a Book by Lane Smith
My students loved this book! Great way to discuss books and media forms.
5. Mr. Peabody's Apples by Madonna
A gentle look at the impact of rumours and looking past appearances.
6. One Green Apple by Eve Bunting
An excellent book that looks at fitting in and being different, especially for ELL students.
7. Have You Filled a Bucket Today and Fill a Bucket by Carol McCloud
I start the year with these 2 books and we share ways to fill each other's bucket. This is referred to all year. It's a very visual way for kids to see how their actions and words affect others.
There is even a website to give ideas and teaching hints.
8. The Golden Rule by Ilene Cooper and Gabi |Swiatkowska
A lovely book that really focuses on how we treat others.
9. The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill
Love this story about how to stand up to a bully and change the way things are.
10. Who is Melvin Bubble? by Nick Bruel
A great intro to point of view and how others see us. The children turned their writing into books.
(This is a return look at favourite books from July; check here for links to where to purchase.)