Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Monday














I am glad I signed up for the book challenges as I know that I am reading more because of them.





I have read a number of picture books the past few weeks:






"Chicken Sunday" by Patricia Polacco (I love all her books. I listened to a presentation by her last year and she was amazing. I now have several books autographed by her. )





"Amelia to Zora - 26 Woman Who Changed the World" by Cynthia Chin-Lee. An excellent abc of strong, important women role models.







I have also read a couple of young adult novels:





"Liar Liar Pants on Fire" by Gordon Korman. My class loved this as the read aloud at the end of the day. It had us all laughing!





"Things Will Never Be the Same" by Tomie de Paola. I enjoy his picture books and this was more autobiographical.





Right now I have a number of books on the go. I try to squeeze in a few minutes each day.


I am almost finished:




"The Bite of the Mango" by Mariatu Kamara. I am enjoying this book about the young woman who had her hands chopped off in the war torn Sierra Leone. She is now living in Ontario and lives an active, purposeful life. It is a very inspiring book.

I am also reading:


"The 12 Secrets of Highly Successful Women" by Gail McMeekin. I won this book before Christmas and am slowly working though it. I thoroughly enjoyed her previous 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women.




"MWF Seeking BFF" by Rachel Bertsche. I had read a review of this book a few weeks back and went out on Saturday and bought it. Her search for a best friend resonated with me. After living in one small town for almost 20 years I have found it so difficult to meet "kindred spirits". There are lots of acquaintances but not not BFFs. So thought I would read this one. I am enjoying her book.



"The Freedom Writers Diary" by Erin Gruwell . Loved the movie - wanted to read more.





Two books I will be reading next are:




"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins (A YA novel - the novel will be coming out soon)



"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini (For our social justice book club. His first book "The Kite Runner" was excellent.

There are so many good books to read! I hope to tackle quite a few from my shelves this year.
Any suggestions??






1 comment:

Gwen said...

I am reading 'The Real Middle Earth' by Brian Bates...very interesting and full of fascinating facts about our ancestors.
xx