Saturday, October 24, 2009

RISK - The Joy Diet


This chapter of "The Joy Diet" on risk made me realize I haven't been much of a risk-taker in the past few years. Remarriage, a move and a demanding job have all made me less of a risk-taker. I find too, that as I age (almost 6 decades - yikes!!), I feel less willing to risk - at least physically.

There have been times in my life though when I wasn't afraid to step out and risk. When I graduated from teacher's college in "77, there were no teaching jobs in Ontario. So, I applied for, and got, a teaching job in The Northwest Territories. I stayed 3 years, had a son (as a single mom) and made lasting friendships.

After a year at home and still no teaching job, I left for a job in Alberta with my son. Many nights I cried - from fear, loneliness, money problems. But I stayed. I married, had a daughter, moved back to Ontario, had another son and went back to teaching.

After my separation, I met my present husband online. That was considered risky, but we were both very honest and have been together 9 years now.

The risks I hope to take now though, relate to creativity. I hope to pursue more and more art challenges. I took part in the Day of the Dead artist challenge (check my blog Oct. 31!).

Reading the quote at the end of the chapter really sums what risk is about. It made me realize that it is the things we don't do that we regret. I would say that I have had few regrets.

"At the end of my life, which will I regret more: taking this risk and failing, or refusing to take it, and never knowing whether I would have succeded or failed?"

5 comments:

Rose said...

You have indeed taking risks in life! I guess they don't all have to be big risks... You are one brave lady and you must know that and no one can take it away from you.

Anonymous said...

Many blessings to you as you move forward in your pursuit of more creative challenges... I think you have more courage than you realize! :)

Sojourner said...

As i read your post, I am in awe of all the risks you have taken and I am sure that is only the tip of the iceberg! Sometimes, I find, we don't recognize the courage we have had and the risks we have taken until we are on the other side of it and take a good look back.
I too have found that in youth, it was "easier" to take risks, we just did what we had to do. As I have also aged, I find that I carry my experiences with me into each risk and ponder a little bit deeper. Maybe it's time to take some risks as a youthful child and just do it! Especially with your creativity. Jump in, feet first!
No regrets!
Blessings to you on your path.

Lexington said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with risk. I think your post really shows how many risks you have taken throughout the years. It is rather inspirational.

Wishing you luck on all of the art risks you wish to take.

Kim said...

I'm so late this week making my rounds. Hopefully, you're indulging in FABULOUS treats by now.

You seem to be a BIG risk taker. I'm in awe of all you've done. And, you are taking different risks now. Putting your thoughts out on your blog is a risk!!

I find the coolest things on your blog!! Citar Sunday, Shadow Shot Sunday...!