Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Sharing



Several weeks ago I began to follow Multitudes on Monday. Each Monday I listed 10 things I was grateful for from the previous week. Many of those things were very personal and I did not reveal some. I am choosing now to create my gratitude list in a new journal and fill it with more personal and meaningful gratitudes.




In its place I want to share my reading for the year, as I finish a book or books for the book challenges listed on my sidebar.


In the first 2 weeks of January I have already read 5 books and enjoyed all of them.






Mystery and Suspense:



I discovered Louise Penny last year when her book "Bury Your Dead" was chosen as the "One Community One Book" for Waterloo Region. I read it, loved it and then read her next one "A Trick of the Light". As I learned more about her, I realized she had 5 other books in her series about Gamanche and the town of Three Pines.


I have now read the first 3 and am thoroughly enjoying the series. Just finished "Dead Cold" and "The Cruelest Month" over the weekend. Can't wait to read the next 2!


Each book involves a mysterious death in Three Pines, Quebec, which Gamanche and his team must solve. The townspeople are interesting and each book is building the relationships and the characters of all these people.




Books to Movie/ Off the Shelf:


While away, I read "Sarah's Key". It was excellent, yet very disturbing. The other explores a very dark chapter in France's history during World War II. The author De Rosnay, uses a back and forth, present to past, technique for this book. I can't wait to see the movie.






While at the airport, I bought another book by Tatiana De Rosnay - "A Secret Kept" and enjoyed it as well.






Non-Fiction


As part of our social justice book club, the book for January is "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I read it while away and found it an excellent read. It was an informative history of the science of growing cells.



No comments: