Monday, July 16, 2012

It's Monday! What are You Reading?





It's Monday! What are You Reading?

With the reading challenges I took up in January, I have tried to increase my reading this year in many different genres. Last week, I was able to finally do a bit more reading. But my lists have grown so long, and my piles to read seem to be growing, I really need to stop everything else and read!

This past week I  read:

Fatty Legs by Christy Jordan-Fenton and Margaret Pokiak-Fenton (YA)


I did enjoy this look at the residential schools in the Arctic. Having been to a number of places mentioned (Aklavik, Tuktoyaktuk, Inuvik), made it that much more enjoyable.


I read a number of picture books this week, some I brought from school to check out:

The Bee Tree by Patricia Polacco


I heard Patricia speak a year ago and was mesmerized by her story telling. I did enjoy this book and I am going to use it at the beginning of the school year as a start to a discussion of why we read.


The Way to Start the Day by Byrd Baylor


I can't believe I haven't read this book, even tho I have had it in my classroom library for years. Enjoyed it.


Wild Bog Tea by Annette LeBox

I picked up this book on sale and finally read it. It was a delightful story of generations and environmental issues.

The Story of the Kind Wolf by Peter Nickl

A surprise twist to the usual wolf stereotype.

Heckedy Peg by Audrey Wood

Interesting story on following directions and knowing your children!

Greyfriar's Bobby by Ruth Brown

I knew the story having seen the old movie, but this was a lovely tale of the wee dog.

Angela and the Baby Jesus by Frank McCourt
I found this at the hospital giftstore last week for $1.99 and couldn't resist. It even had a CD! A lovely story for Christmas.



I am still working on several teacher  book clubs and these books take up some of time for reading:
Guiding Readers, The Daily Five, Guided Math, Take Joy and now, Opening Minds. They have all been worthwhile reading.I will be continuing these books over the next few weeks.

Currently I am reading:
The Breadwinner Tril0gy by Deborah Ellis

The Beach Club by Elin Hildebrand ( for fun reading)

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Hotel on the corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford



Be sure to check out the great reads here and here.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look like fun reads. Enjoy!

Here's what I'm reading on Clean Adult Fiction

The Brunette Librarian said...

Looks like a fun week! Happy reading!
The Brunette Librarian Blog

Jen Vincent said...

I don't recognize any of these! You are getting lots of reading done, though. Happy reading!

Elisha German said...

The Beach Club sounds real good!

BookJunkieMom.blogspot.com