Sunday, February 19, 2012

Book Monday






















This past week has been dominated by the "Hunger Games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins. It has been quite a while since I have been obsessed with reading a series. But it has also been a week when I had more time to read, and read I did!






Thursday I was home as I had had a fall at work and was seeing the doctor that day. (Other than aches and pains, I was okay). I started the first book, "The Hunger Games" on the bus to the doctors and almost missed my stop. By the time I got home, I was hooked. I read all afternoon and finished it that night.




Friday I returned to school and was able to borrow only the second book "Catching Fire." Again I was caught up in the story and did something I haven't done in a long time - read til done at 3 in the morning.




Saturday we went to Chapters as I had to have the 3rd book "Mockingjay". Again I started reading right away and read til I finished at 1 in the morning.




I found the characters intriguing, the new world chilling and the whole trilogy extremely well written. For me, good fantasy and science fiction novels are all about the imagination and the creation of new worlds that draw you into them. "Harry Potter" did that and now the "Hunger Games" has done that. Of course, I am now eagerly awaiting the movie - comes out March 23!





This week I also read "We all Fall Down" by Eric Walters, another young adult novel. It had been recommended by a former student so thought I would read it. Again, a very well written novel. It gave a very different view of 9/11.


I won a picture book through a teaching blog "Grade 4 Frolics" and I received the book on Thursday - "Pink Tiara Cookies for Three" by Maria Dismondy. I loved the story of the 3 girls and read it to my class on Friday. They enjoyed it as well. It fit very well in our unit on friendship.


I have also started the 4th book in the Gamache mystery series., "The Murder Stone". This is another series I have been drawn into. I am slowly working my way through the books and thoroughly enjoying them.

6 comments:

TP said...

I so agree about The Hunger Games series - the world created was so vivid and detailed - love the book!

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean! The series is on my to reread list! You can check out my Monday here

http://kyliesreads.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Haven't read the Hunger Games books...sounds like you're enjoying them.

We All Fall Down caught my attention.

Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

dollycas aka Lori said...

I haven't read Hunger Games yet but I so know the feeling when a book grabs you and won't let go.

Have an awesome week!!

pussreboots said...

I still have Catching Fire and Mockingjay on my TBR.

This weekend we went on a mini-vacation. Since I was outside enjoying nature, I didn't get much reading done. Please stop by to see what I'm reading now.

Abbi Hart said...

Hope your reading week is successful and fun!