Monday, July 4, 2011

Education Monday










Monday is usually a non-blogging- posting day for me. As I have been exploring teaching sites, I have been excited by the sharing of ideas from so many teachers. So Ii thought I would start responding to some of the linky parties on Mondays.



For the first one:


Read Alouds for the first week of school:




Usually the first books I read are picture books that focus on feelings, following rules and getting along. Here are some of my favourites that I have used:





"Miss Nelson is Missing" by Harry G. Allard








(Great way to compare classrooms and encourage thinking about what classroom children want/need. Usually our first Venn diagram)





"First Day Jitters" by Julie Danneberg




"Wemberly Worried" by Kevin Henkes



















I use this book and concept throughout the year. The website (click the title) gives lots of resources)












"How I spent My Summer Vacation" by Mark Teague


(Great for exaggeration and a fun writing activity)





"The Memory Stone" by Anne Louise Mac Donald









(I actually let each child chose a stone I have purchased and they write about a summer memory, using the stone to trigger a memory)





My first chapter book read aloud is "Donovan's Word Jar" by DeGross. This leads into our creating our wonderful words chart which we add to all year.



Be sure to check out the other great read alouds here.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Love the idea of a memory stone, wish someone had been that practical with me at school! Lovely pics of flowers below.

teri said...

Loved seeing these! What is the premise behind the memory stone and how do you use it as a writing prompt?