Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Wrap-up

ATCs

Art this week has been creating more ATCs . This has become an enjoyable outlet. The cards are only 2 1/2" by 3 1/2 " and there are so many themes to choose from. I sent off 4 sets today and am still working on several others. I am hosting my own swap - on the theme of rabbits (in honour of my Mom, who's nickname was Bunny, which is where my blog's name came from).

Zentangles - love creating these!



Famous authors and their quotes (2 of my favourite quotes -by Helen Keller and William Faulkner)





On the beach:
Outrageous Hats:






This was also the time of the month to create the full moon dreamboard. I had fun with this one.
(See mine here)




An activity I did with my class resulted in some fun art. We read "Art is.." (by Bob Raczka) It is a wonderful book, filled with great art. Then we brainstormed what art was to each of the children. Each of them then did a collage of "Art is...



The children had fun creating their posters. One stood out though , with the message "Art is in us" centred on his page, with a photo of a peacock at the bottom, with his drawing at the top. So perceptive!




The flowers we did last week, influenced by Georgia O'Keefe, and using tissue paper, turned out very well







ABCs of Art should have focused on E this week, but I got stuck on etching or engraving! I try to emulate an artist in that style for the letter of the week, but I have never tried either, other than using Styrofoam plates for printmaking.
From Wikipedia comes these descriptions:
Etching:
"Etching is the process of using strong acid or mordant to cut into the unprotected parts of a metal surface to create a design in intaglio in the metal (the original process—in modern manufacturing other chemicals may be used on other types of material). As an intaglio method of printmaking it is, along with engraving, the most important technique for old master prints, and remains widely used today."

Engraving:
Engraving is the practice of incising a design on to a hard, usually flat surface, by cutting grooves into it. The result may be a decorated object in itself, as when silver, gold, steel, or glass are engraved, or may provide an intaglio printing plate, of copper or another metal, for printing images on paper as prints or illustrations; these images are also called engravings."


Durer is the artist I am most familiar with in terms of engraving. Some of his artwork is so detailed! Visit here to see his complete work.

Eventually, I hope to take a course on engraving, especially using woodcuts. For now, I can admire the process and the artists who engrave and etch.
This week I will be focusing on F - for Faces!

5 comments:

Trudy said...

I love your ATC's. Great stuff.

June said...

Fab atc's and fun too. I really love the zentangles
hugs June xxx

Leone said...

I love your zentangle cards, they are very organic. You create so much, your other cards are great too. The latest Somerset Studios is about impressionist artists and I thought you might enjoy it as part of your exercise in studying artists. We have a church in Van St Andrews Wesley United - that has beautiful glass etching. if you every come back here you might want to check it out.

Ginny said...

I am so impressed and amazed at all you create. Where do you find the time. Your zentangle cards were amazing. Have a wonderful week.

Lis said...

I love all your ATCs! Funny, I have been making them as well ... they start out as ways to use extra paint from a journal page and are turning out to be more spontaneous and playful than other pieces I work on. And the Helen Keller quote is one of my favorites!

I swear, we must be tapping into some kind of communal inspiration pool! Except you seem to be better about getting that inspiration onto the page!

fantastic :)