Friday, September 25, 2009

Nothing - and everything!

The Joy Diet adventure has begun! The first week has been to explore NOTHING! Yes, nothing!

I love Martha Beck's concept of beginning at one's centre - to explore the very core of oneself. By letting go, by practicing vacating mind and body, one is able to reach a "place of peace, a stillness", 15 - 20 minutes every day.


Now, if only I am able to do that every day! I managed 5 minutes most days! I know I have been able to achieve that state of stillness - but that has always been in the midst of grief, pain or even anger. The place that I usually find peace the easiest is by water.



Last year's trip to Vancouver was a seeking of peace. Visiting with my cousin , who lost her mother as well in the same year as my mom (our moms were sisters) really helped. But, I really feel it was the ocean, the water, the power of it, that helped heal me. I spent many hours just watching the waves while we were there. So, I know I have my "Amanpuri, my mental place of peace". I just have to go there each day.


Be sure to visit the other Joy Diet participants, of Jamie Ridler's TNC.

15 comments:

Sherry said...

Water resonates with me too -- there is something soothing about it -- maybe because we spent so much time in water while in the womb? The rocking and lulling while our mothers walked? The sounds we heard? I think it might stem from there.

5 minutes each day is a beginning and I'm sure that with practice you will increase this. And even if you don't...you know already that you have cared out that time for yourself.

Looking forward to exploring truth with you!

Melinda said...

I find water soothing too! Looking forward to reading more posts!

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

Yes water water water -- that always shifts to stillness for me, too. There is something about the moving stillness, the glint or hush of light depending on sun or clouds... I have often thought that if I lived somewhere where I could just see a large body of water right out the front door or window, NOTHING would be sooo easy. Sit with a cuppa tea multiple times a day and stare! :)
miracles,
k-

Melita said...

yes, water has such a meditative power i love it! i did a whole lot of nothing in the bath tub :) glad to be sharing this journey with you :)

Karen D said...

I also find peace by the water, I can sit by the ocean doing nothing much easier than trying to do it at home. Thanks for sharing.

Beverley Baird said...

Thans so much for stopping by!
Sharing this journey sure adds to the whole learning curve!
Take care.

Grammy said...

I really enjoyed your post. I too am attracted to water. We live near the lake of the Ozarks. And I love lake Erie in Ohio. It is just awesome. But I am so glad to here you found peace in the water too. See ya next week.
Thank for stopping by.

Leone said...

I agree with you about the water, I love living beside it but wish the boats weren't here covering most of it. The open ocean is the best but I'm not complaining. I wish you much joy.

Genie Sea said...

Yes! Water is truly a clarifying agent. Its flow and very being are peace. How lovely of you to identify it! :)

Angie said...

Dear Beverly,
You have created a beautiful card, i have yet to do mine, kind of got distracted and did a journal page instead. Am looking forward to doing the truth chapter next week, but not sure if I can keep up with the meditation, like to think i can for now! Angie:)

Anonymous said...

It's so wonderful to know that water is a tool for you to experience nothingness.... You card is beautiful!

Beth Dargis said...

A mental place of peace - yes! Did you find that picturing that place made your mind a little quieter?

Leah said...

water helps me get still too!!

Kim said...

Beautiful card - water still me,too.

Anonymous said...

There is something so stilling about water. I'm so glad you could manage 5 minutes a day. That's just great. Much success in Truth this week.